Tuesday 21 December 2010

Stuffed Peppers

I cooked this very simple dish recently as I fancied creating something with a bit of a Moroccan feel to it.  This was perhaps inspired by the large Tagine we have just bought my parents for Christmas.  I didn't go over the top with my ingredients, however but just subtly introduced some flavours.  This dish can be easily adapted and added to according to your taste but may provide a useful start point for your own creation.



Stuffed Peppers (before cooking)

Ingredients

4 medium peppers
1 small onion
100g minced lamb
100ml water
1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp garlic salt
Rind of 1 lemon
Olive oil
Black pepper

Method

I began by preparing the peppers.  I did this by slicing off the top and removing the seeds but also a took a small slice off the bottom to enable them to stand while cooking.






For the filling I fried the onion for 5 minutes then added the paprika, cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic salt and lemon rind.







I then added the lamb and fried on a medium heat till browned.








To this I added the tomato paste and water and simmered for 20 minutes till the lamb had cooked through.  I divided this filling equally into the peppers and drizzled with olive oil.  These were then baked in the oven at 200 degrees for about 30 mins.

Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the finished article but we just had it with some leaves and a warm lemon dressing.

Lemon Dressing:

100ml gluten free chicken stock
50 ml olive oil
Juice of one lemon
Seasoning

Combine the ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes till thickened slightly.

The flavours in the peppers were great and quite zesty.  You could easily leave out the lemon, perhaps add a little chilli and/or toasted pine nuts.  Maybe even mix some chopped spring onions with the stuffing before baking? The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment